The Finance Manager reports to the Executive Director/Chief Executive Officer of Covenant House. You will serve as staff to the Internal Affairs Committee of the Covenant House Board of Directors and oversee and direct all financial operations of Covenant House and its programs.
Our annual budget is approximately $2 million for the fiscal year and is expected to continue to grow as Covenant House programs and fundraising activity expands. In addition to annual fundraising and support for ongoing programs, Covenant House holds approximately $1.4 million in endowment funds which are supervised by this position. This role will serve as company liaison between Covenant House and our Chief Financial Officer (CFO) platform 100 Degrees Consulting managing all financial affairs of Covenant House.
- Establish, implement, and monitor financial, accounting, and related information systems in compliance with the fiscal policies established by the Board of Directors; ensure that financial controls/procedures and risk management are in place to safeguard assets, maintain positive cash flow and maintain accurate documentation of financial transactions.
- Oversee accounts payable and receivable which include but not limited to operational expenses and payments, payroll and benefits, petty cash management, credit card transactions, invoicing and billing (including grant reimbursements).
- Maintain accounting books and records for Covenant House, and Community Housing.
- Advise the Executive Director/CEO, the Internal Committee, and the Board of Directors with respect to financial conditions and trends of the organization, as well as in formulation of agency policies and strategic direction.
- Prepare reports for the Board, government agencies, foundations, prospective funders, and affiliated organizations that are timely, accurate, and understandable to non-accountants.
- Develop Covenant House annual budget that reflects the organization’s strategic plan, with recommendations. Monitor performance against budget.
- Monitor the implementation of Covenant House investment management policy and work closely with investment managers retained by the Covenant House.
- Ensure and coordinate the implementation of an annual independent audit and submit the audit report to the Internal Committee of the Board.
- Prepare monthly/quarterly financial statements for Covenant House and for affiliated accounts, including internal budget monitoring reports.
- Manage monthly reconciliation of donor information system and accounting system.
- Monitor Federal and State grants received for direct service programs; oversee grant spending and budgeting.
- Works with Director of Operations, Program Director and case managers on the budgeting and spending of their grants.
- Works with Director of Operations, Program Director and case managers on developing budgets for all new grant applications.
- Supervise assigned staff.
- This list of essential functions is not intended to be exhaustive. Covenant House reserves the right to revise this job description as needed to comply with actual job requirements.
- General Duties – assist with special events as assigned, including but not limited to Chef’s Challenge, Adopt-A-Family, Here for Good, Canstruction, Pride, and the community garden.
- Bachelor’s degree with emphasis on accounting; CPA desirable.
- Commitment to Covenant House’s Mission Statement.
- Eight or more years of increasingly responsible financial management/accounting experience; experience in nonprofit, fundraising organizations and with endowments is strongly preferred.
- Working knowledge of recent GAAP pronouncements as they pertain to nonprofit organizations.
- Accounting and data management supervisory experience.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Excellent judgment and decision-making skills.
- Strong analytical abilities.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- High level of proficiency in word processing and spreadsheet program application and information technology. Experience with computerized accounting system and Salsa donor management system, or similar database systems, highly desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate own activities; ability to manage time, evaluate progress, and adjust activities to complete work within established time frames.
- Ability to be open to new ideas, take on additional responsibilities, and work on program development.
- Proficiency with Windows applications.
- Valid Driver’s License and mode of transportation.
Please email your resume; cover letter; and three references to Briana Martin at [email protected].
We encourage people from marginalized populations to apply. Covenant House is an equal opportunity employer. EOE